"To be continued"....continued.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

   Before I go on I just want to thank those of you who have visited, commented, and/or followed my blog. I find writing difficult, so to get such a positive response is very reassuring!
   Without further ado, on to part 2!


   We spent the next two months in a women's shelter. They took very good care of us, but it was very hard at times for me with 3 young children trying to care for them plus worrying about the needs of the other moms/kids in there. We managed though and I got alot accomplished during our short stay. The custody/support arrangement was made, Craig got enrolled in school, and I got us onto the city's housing list and OW (welfare).


   The shelter was only temporary. We needed a 4 bedroom and since there are not many available in town, we moved into transitional housing (a home until we found a home). It was nice and we settled in (Oct'03). It was so wonderful to have the basic necessities again! (and without the constant fear of losing them) I tell ya, I will appreciate the essentials such as light, heat, and communication so much more now!
   Shortly after, my mom-in-law (yes, HIS mother) moved in with us. For some time before I left, his mom had pleaded with me to move. She acknowledged his irresponsibilty and proposed to come up from Toronto to help me with the kids, and allow me to go to school. She has been such a wonderful help, I am truly fortunate and blessed (odd thing to be able to say coming from a broken marriage lol)


   The first thing I did after she came was pursue  finishing high school. After I met hubbie, I had dropped out. I can't entirely blame him, I really hated it. None the less it was a dumb thing to do. I was only 3 credits away from a HS diploma! Within the year I obtained my GED.
   The next step was to pick up some 'upgrading' credits so I could apply to college. My teacher and I worked out a career plan for me and what I had to do to get there. I had decided I wanted to get a job in radiography. It meant alot to me as alot of my childhood involved being in and out of hospitals and dealing with x-rays. The pathway was laid...
   During 2004 I worked my a$$ off and earned a college credit in adv math, anatomy, and chemistry. These extra credits helped get me into a Pre-Health program. I became a FT student in Fall 2005 and graduated the program April 2006. I was so excited! I NEVER thought I'd be college material! My MIL (as now) helped out so much so I could do it The next step was the most terrifying, my application for the MRT (Medical Radiation Technology) program.
   There were over 1500 applicants for the Fall 2006 start, and only 53 selected. I was one of those 53!! I could not believe it! Out of so much hurt and misery, things were finally getting better! The program was 3 yrs, graduation expected April 2009.
   
   I thought I could wrap this up in 2 posts, but nope.....sorry!
   Once again, to be continued...  
  

2 comments:

Becca said...

Congrats! You accomplished so much in such a short period of time!

Lala said...

Hi, I'm Lala. I found you through Fringes. I live in the same province, possibly even the same city. keep sharing, I've found it helps you get through the night sometimes.